Breast Reduction New York City
Introduction to Breast Reduction
Restoration & Rejuvenation
Despite the appeal of larger breasts, being overly large can create both health and emotional problems for many women. There is a lot of physical pain and discomfort that comes with large breasts due to the weight of excess breast tissue, which can impact a woman’s ability to live an active life. Emotional discomfort also takes a toll on self-image and self-confidence issues that occur from having large pendulous breasts.
William Samson, MD in New York City wants to help those suffering from the pangs that come with overly large breasts through Breast Reduction surgery, and he aims to provide the best, most natural results possible. If the size of your breasts has become too much to handle, it may be time to consider this procedure. If you are interested in learning more about Breast Reduction, we have included some information about the procedure below for your edification.
Before & After
Let’s start with the basics
What is Breast Reduction?
Also referred to as reduction mammaplasty, Breast Reduction is a surgical procedure that removes excess breast fat, glandular tissue, and skin to provide the patient with a more proportionate breast size to their body, while alleviating the discomfort that can come with macromastia (excessively large breasts).
Breast reduction is typically performed to help address certain medical issues, however, if you are unhappy with the size of your breasts for aesthetic reasons, this could be a life-changing and confidence-inspiring procedure.
What are the Benefits of Breast Reduction?
Our New York Patients who have undergone Breast Reduction have been able to enjoy the following benefits:
- Better hygiene
- Clothing fits better
- Improves aesthetic appearance
- More active lifestyle
- Promotes a better self-image
- Upper back, neck, and shoulders pain relief
What to expect on the day of surgery
On the day of your Breast Reduction, you will first be administered anesthesia to make your surgery more comfortable for you. Depending on what is discussed with Dr. Samson, it will either be general anesthesia or intravenous sedation.
Once you are sedated, Dr. Samson will begin by making the incisions that will allow him to remove tissue and manipulate your breasts. The type of incision will have already been discussed during your consultation but can consist of a few different techniques, or a combination of them, which are:
- A circular pattern around the areola – this incision will leave a visible line and permanent scar but can be well concealed beneath your swimsuit or bra.
- A keyhole or “racquet-shaped” pattern – the incision is made around the areola with a vertical line down to the breast crease.
- An inverted T or “anchor-shaped” pattern – similar to the keyhole, however, this incision includes a transverse incision made in the breast fold. This technique allows for maximal removal of skin and better shaping of the breast.
After the incision has been made, Dr. Samson will reposition your nipple while keeping it attached to its original blood and nerve supply. If necessary, your areola may also be reduced by excising the skin at its perimeter. The underlying breast tissue is reduced, lifted, and shaped into its final form. If you have particularly large, pendulous breasts, the nipple, and areola may be needed to be completely removed and then transplanted to a higher position on your breast. This technique is called a free nipple graft.
When finished, Dr. Samson will bring the incisions together to reshape the now smaller breast. He will use sutures by layering them deep within the breast tissue to create and support your newly shaped breast. Sutures, skin adhesives, or surgical tape will then be used to close the exterior skin.
Please keep in mind that no matter which technique is used, incision lines and scars will be permanent, but will fade over time. Dr. Samson does his absolute best to make any lines or scars as imperceptible as possible, but due to the very nature of this surgery, they are inevitable.
What’s the First Step?
The first step in getting Breast Reduction in New York City is to contact the office of William Samson, MD, and request a consultation. When you come in for this appointment, you will get to meet with Dr. Samson and express your desire for the procedure and ask any questions you might have. Dr. Samson will give you an examination and discuss your medical history as well, which allows him to create the best plan for you. If you agree with him about your treatment plan, you will then meet with our Patient Coordinator to schedule your surgical date.
Who are the Best Candidates for Breast Reduction?
If you have large breasts that cause you more discomfort than joy, and are considering breast reduction surgery, but are wondering if you’re a good candidate. The best candidates usually meet the following criteria:
- Bothered by feeling that your breasts are too large
- Experiencing back, neck, and shoulder pain caused by the weight of your breasts
- Get skin irritation beneath the breast crease
- Left with shoulder indentations from bra straps
- Limited in your physical activity due to breast size
- Overall physically healthy
- Realistic in their expectations for the procedure results
Here are also a few important things to remember:
- Breast reduction can be performed at any age, but is best done when your breasts are fully developed
- Breast reduction surgery can interfere with certain diagnostic procedures
- Breast and nipple piercing can cause an infection
- Changes in the breasts during pregnancy can alter the outcomes of previous breast reduction surgery, as can significant weight fluctuations
- Your ability to breastfeed following reduction mammaplasty may be limited; talk to your doctor if you are planning to nurse a baby
Breast Reduction Recovery
After your Breast Reduction, you will be able to leave once you have been discharged. We highly recommend that you have a friend or family member available to provide your ride home as you will still be a little groggy from the anesthesia. You will also be provided with some instructions on how to have a better recovery.
Dr. Samson will have applied dressing or bandages to your incisions and your breasts will have been wrapped in gauze and an elastic bandage to minimize swelling and give your breasts some additional support as they heal. A small, thin tube is usually left temporarily inserted into an incision to help drain any excess fluid or blood that may collect following your operation.
Most patients can return to work after 3 – 5 days, especially if they have a desk job. Even if you feel comfortable returning to work, you should keep your activity to a minimum during the first few weeks. You should wait about a month to resume light cardio, and can usually return to your normal workout routine at around 6 weeks.
How Much Does Breast Reduction Cost in New York City?
The cost of Breast Reduction in New York City will be determined by multiple factors, such as how much tissue will be removed and the level of change being made, among other things. After coming in for your consultation with Dr. Samson and he creates a plan for you, our Patient Coordinator will be able to provide you with a breakdown of the total cost for your procedure.
The good news is that because a majority of Breast Reduction is necessary due to a mastectomy, it is covered by many insurance plans. It’s always a good idea to speak with your insurance provider before making your consultation so that you have a better understanding of what you will be responsible for.
Why choose us?
Breast Reduction Experts
As a specialist in breast surgery, Dr. William Samson has been performing aesthetic and reconstructive surgeries for over a decade. He has been awarded as an NYC TopDoc from Castle Connolly and is a member of numerous professional societies, including the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the Aesthetic Society (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery).
Schedule a Consultation
You shouldn’t have to be burdened by your naturally large breasts. If you are in the New York City area and would like to see if a Breast Reduction is best for you, call the office of William Samson, MD, and schedule your consultation today! You can reach us at 212-590-5580 or request an appointment through our website and one of our team members will get right back to you. Bigger does not always mean better and you can easily have a reinvigorated life with a Breast Reduction.
Breast Reduction FAQs
Is Breast Reduction surgery painful?
How many appointments will I need?
How long until I see results?
Can I combine Breast Reduction with other procedures?
What are the risks associated with Breast Reduction?
- Allergies to tape, suture materials, glues, blood products, topical preparations, or injectable agents
- Anesthesia risks
- Bleeding (hematoma)
- Blood clots
- Breast asymmetry
- Breast contour and shape irregularities
- Changes in nipple or breast sensation, which may be temporary or permanent
- Damage to deeper structures – such as nerves, blood vessels, muscles, and lungs – can occur and may be temporary or permanent
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Excessive firmness of the breast
- Fatty tissue deep in the skin could die (fat necrosis)
- Fluid accumulation
- Pain, which may persist
- Poor wound healing
- Possibility of revisional surgery
- Potential inability to breastfeed
- Potential loss of skin/tissue of breast where incisions meet each other
- Potential, partial, or total loss of nipple and areola
- Skin discoloration, permanent pigmentation changes, swelling and bruising
- Unfavorable scarring
Dr. Samson is amazing! I lost about 100 pounds and over the past year he has performed 3 surgical procedures to remove excess skin and transform my body!
I opted to have a breast reduction 5 months ago with Dr. Samson and I must say the results and experience have been amazing.
Dr. Samson and his team treat patients with deep respect, thoughtfulness, honesty, attention to detail and great skill, all combined leading to excellent results.
We’re here to help, with a number of patient resources designed to make your experience as comfortable as possible. Read through the materials below, and don’t hesitate to reach out and set up your consultation to learn more about what we can do for you.